Boulder has a number of different widget areas setup by default, including:
- Left Sidebar Menu - displays widgets on pages created with the Default page template
- Right Sidebar Menu - displays widgets on pages created with the Right Sidebar page template
- Sidebar - displays widgets on blog posts and pages
- Top toolbar - Left - displays widgets in the very top row of the header, above the logo on the left.
- Top toolbar - Right - displays widgets in the very top row of the header, to the right hand side.
- Mobile Search - this widget should be used to add a search widget to the top of smartphone devices.
- Header Search - this widget should be used to add a search widget to the right hand side of your header.
- Shop Sidebar - displays widgets on your shop pages when you have shop sidebar active
- Below main body - a full width widget area beneath your main body but before the footer.
- First Footer - displays widgets in the first of two footer rows. This widget area works best with a max. of 4 widgets added to it.
- Second Footer - displays widgets in the second of two footer rows. This widget area works best with a max. of 4 widgets added to it.
Creating your own widget areas
The theme installs the excellent WooSidebars which lets you create your own custom widget areas if you so wish. To do so:
- Go to Appearance->Widget Areas
- Click "Add new"
- Add a Name and Description
- You then need to decide how you would like the new widget area to work. You have a lot of flexibility as to how widget areas appear. I highly recommend checking out the WooSidebars docs http://docs.woothemes.com/document/woosidebars-2/ for full details.
Adding widgets to your Widget areas
You can setup your widgets according to your own preferences. For the demo site, we have setup the following widgets.
Top Toolbar - Left
We use a simple text widget to create a top menu in the top toolbar left widget area.
If you're using WPML, this is where we recommend you add your Language Selector and currency widget.
Advanced widget settings on the Shop Sidebar
For some of the more sophisticated widgets illustrated above in the Shop Sidebar, here is a little bit more detail on how exactly these widgets are configured in Boulder.
WooCommerce Product Categories
YITH WooCommerce Ajax Navigation - Filter by Size
YITH WooCommerce Ajax Navigation - Filter by Season
That should be everything you need to setup widgets!